Thursday, December 11, 2008

Finally...pics of Brooke at home!

Continuing Brooke's story...again, if you already know most of the story or don't have time to read it, feel free to just scroll through the pictures. Towards the end, there are "coming home" pictures...a little more fun to see than the depressing hospital pictures from the last post... and thre is also a sneak preview to one of our Christmas card pictures. Brooke is wearing a doll's dress.

But before I get into another "All About Brooke" post, I have wanted to share a few of Mason's school pictures from the fall ever since they were taken. The pics were taken early October, but we didn't receive them in the mail until the weekend I was in the hospital, so now I finally get to share them. Mason LOVES his new preschool. He attends two days a week at the local art/music/theatre preschool and is learning so much along with having so much fun! They also offer an art class on Fridays that he attends once a month.

********************************************************************************
Back to Brooke...

Saturday, November 29...9th day in NICU. Not many changes on this day. She was doing really well on her feedings (went up from 5 mL Thursday morning to 10 mL Thursday night to 20 mL on Saturday...1 oz is 30 mL). Since she was doing so well with eating, they started weaning her off her IV fluids. Can you believe I didn't take any pictures the whole day???

*********************************************************************************
Sunday, November 30...During our evening visit, we walked in to see that Brooke was in an open crib! She no longer had any IVs hooked up to her and she was controlling her own body temperature. They also raised her feedings to 1 oz.

Being in an open crib meant that we were allowed to come in any time and hold her for however long we wanted! A big step to coming home! Looks like Brooke is happy about the news too...



*********************************************************************************
Monday, December 1...Since Brooke was in an open crib and free of all IVs and most monitors, we were able to bring her some clothes. She also started eating 45 mL...she likes her food!

Monday and Tuesday were emotional roller coaster days. When I went in to see Brooke Monday morning, the doctor came in and said everything was looking good and I might be able to take her home that evening. If not Monday evening, then Tuesday. I got my hopes up, of course, but later, they said no. They said she was losing too much weight each day, but that it looked like Tuesday would be the day.

**********************************************************************************
Tuesday, December 2...Day 12 in the NICU... Brooke is coming home today!

Today was another day of ups and downs. First we were told, yes, then no, then when I went to visit her that evening, they surprised me with a yes, we could take her! I had been dropped off at the hospital, so I ended up waiting for Carlton an hour a half...of course, the one visit he missed from having to work late...and they ended up having to kick me out of the NICU since they were closing for shift change. I could either take her and wait for him in the lobby or come back to get her two hours later. I took her and we found Carlton in the hallway on his way to the NICU...good timing :)

Earlier that day at the hospital...

Sleepy after lunch (she was up to 60 mL...2 oz)...moving up pretty quick!

At home at last!! Mason was at home with Grandma Glo (Carlton's mom) and Aunt Steph (Carlton's sister). We decided to not tell them we were bringing Brooke home. So when we walked in, it was a big surprise. Mason was SO excited! Of course, my setting was wrong on the camera for the lighting in the living room...so I missed all the fun shots of him jumping up to see her, but here is a pic of him being so proud to have his baby sister home.

First family photo...

A few days later...a sneak peek of one of the pictures on our Christmas card (sorry if those are late, by the way...we're working on it).

Today, Saturday, December 13...Brooke has been doing really well at home. I can't believe she is over 3 weeks old now!! I took her to her 2 week appointment last Friday and she was up to 6 lb, 9 oz (a gain of 6 ounces since she'd been home for 2 1/2 days compared to the 3 oz she gained in the 12 days in the hospital). She also grew almost an inch in the first two weeks. I'm sure she hs gained more by now as she is up to 3 1/2 oz at her feedings! Mason loves having her home and wants to constantly be around her...and wants to constantly wake her up and entertain her. He is very proud of her and shows her off to anyone he can.
I doubt I will be posting anything until after Christmas, so Merry Christmas to everyone!